Commenting about my own work

I'm been thinking lately on how it's sounds when I'm commenting on my own work, and how I read other artists comments about their own work. You know, I post a new painting and then I hesitate to write what I feel about it. Not that I don't know what I would like to say about it, but I hesitate because I do not know how it will sound to others or 'read'. Often this result in that I do not comment that much about my paintings at all.

An example:  if I say I don't know about this one or I don't like it I feel like I'm asking to be contradicted with What are you talking about, it's lovely. You know what I mean. This doesn't happen too often though, as I simply do not post paintings I am not at least somewhat happy with. If I'm not satisfied I either rework it until I am or I simply paint over it.
Then you have the opposite. When I have a painting that I am really happy with, should I go straight out and say it? I am so proud of this one. This one turned out great, etc. For some reason I feel like others would think then Who does she think she is? It's nice, but not THAT great…

My dilemma here is that I am not insecure about my work or what people would think about it (there will always be people who either hate/don't like or love/like what any artists do, that just comes down to personal tastes), but I am insecure about how I write about my work. I do not want to sound like I am begging for compliments, but I also don't want to sound like I think that there could be no improvements to my work. I do not know if I make any sense right now. That's why I often use simple phrases like I'm happy with this one. This one turned out rather well. They sound quite neutral, but now I have started thinking that they also sound quite boring, like I am not that interested in my own work.

So, what to do about that?

Maybe a solution would be to comment on the good and the 'bad'… Lets try it on my latest painting:

This is Pearly. Acrylic and oil on canvas, 30x30cm. He/she is a Boreal owl. This owl is called pearl-owl in Swedish, and that is how I chose the name Pearly. Reference picture with kind permission from AlaskanStock.deviantart.com.

I am happy with how it turned out. It took me much longer to finish than I had anticipated as I got lost in all the details on the face though. I like the background, and I think it shows of the bird pretty well. The branches could have do with some more work, but as they are not the main focus of this painting I left them like that. I'm proud of the head, I think that I captured the intent stare of the bird quite well. The breast feathers looks a little more like fur than feathers and I could have painted that part differently. The back feathers turned out ok. The face was my focal point, and thats why it got the most work.

Now I need to go and finish my other owl painting!

Comments

  1. Hello Jenny, thanks for the text, I think you have a point. It's not easy to talk about art, own or others. It's little bit same when one is selling a painting, there is not so much value to just say ; this is wonderful. I always try to talk about background, different things which have effected to painting, techniques and so on, have noticed that people really like to hear that. Greetings from Karaija! Beautifull paintings you have done again! 😊 Maarit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Maarit! I'm so glad you stopped by! I never found it easy to talk about my work, I jus do not know what to say. I have decided that I need to practice talking about my work, so from now on I will try and say something more about every painting that I'm posting instead of only name, media and size. Good point about the techniques: because I often post progress photos I forget to tell exactly in words whats going on… People often ask me how I did something because of the mixed media techniques I am using.
      And you are right about the 'this is wonderful/beautiful' comment. Of course it's nice to hear that people think so, but as the artist it would be more interesting to hear WHY they think it is wonderful…
      Greetings from Shanghai! I will be in Finland in two weeks time, so I will come and say hello in person soon!! Jenny

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts