Posts

Showing posts from April, 2017

Almost done and done!

Image
So. I am a little behind in my painting schedule. It's not a huge deal, it just mean that I won't have as many paintings as I had planned for my exhibition. I will still have about 20 paintings, and it should be a good amount of the walls of the gallery. 
The spring is over, and summer is here. They have promised 28 degrees for the weekend... 
My desk with many 'almost done' paintings on the walls. 
Barn owl with some gold leaf. I have been spending too much time on this one instead of finish my other paintings, but I can't seem to help myself. I want to finish this one too... A few more details and it should be done!
Magnolia. Mixed media on canvas, 25x25cm. This one is done and done! ☺️
Another magnolia that is done. Same size. Acrylic and oil on canvas.
Landing egret. This one is one of the 'almost done'. Just a few details that need attending and then I can sign it. Love the colours in this one. 

Petals and feathers.

Image
Yup, petals and feathers in layers. Many layers...

This magnolia painting is almost finished. A few adjustments needed on the petals and then I need to finish of the branches.
The heron has gotten one more layer of paint. Next time I work on this one I have to lengthen the beak a little bit.
This is todays work. I had one more background like the one of the heron, and first I had planned to paint another flying heron it. But then I found this barn owl, and I am sold!
It is actually very nice painting so small. The canvas is 30x30cm, so the owl measures maybe 15cm. Much less details needed, suggestions are enough. I'm in love with this colour combination.
Great crested grebe. This painting is a little bigger, 50x50cm. I painted the first layer of the bird today. There are a few things I see now that I need to adjust. Sometimes it can be really useful to take photos of your work in progress and see it on the screen. 
It was a good day in the studio today. I'm hoping that tomorro…

Sun, new birds and magnolias.

Image
The weather has improved quite a bit, and after several days of  rain we had some sun today. I enjoyed a few hours of surprisingly nice air on the balcony this morning. I'm hoping to be able to do the same tomorrow. 
It has been a slow week in the studio, but I still have a few new things to share with you. The flying swan became the first in a series of paintings it seems. I am really enjoying making these backgrounds. I like the element of surprise, since you can not totally control how paint and water will flow with this technique. Diluting acrylic paint this much with water will compromise the binding in the paint, even if I add flow-aid. This means that I have to seal the paint with acrylic medium in-between layers. I like the effect though.
Flying heron. The first blocking in of the bird is done. Next will be to add the finer details to the bird.
Landing egret. I mentioned in my last post that all my canvases seems to turn out blue lately. Well, here I tried to add a new gr…

Studio update.

Image
I was wondering about titles for this blogpost. I thought for awhile, but all I could come up with was 'Studio update'. It is very accurate, but it also becomes a little bit boring after using it so many times. Then again, that is what most of my posts are about...  'Art journal page and finished painting' sounds more like a description than a title. Oh well, words and writing has never been my strongest side, but I guess that's why I usually try and tell my stories with pictures instead. 
Looking around my studio I can only conclude that I am in a blue period. Bluer than before, that is. All my backgrounds that I have started have a blue base of some kind. I do add different earth colours to most of them after the first two or three layers, but most of them are simply blue. It will give them a common theme if nothing else... 
A new page in my art journal. I did film this process, so I have a video of it for you:

A flying egret almost finished. One more layer of o…