Watercolours, acrylics and oils this week...

Sometimes small things can make you happy. Like painting your work table white. I have been thinking about it for a few days now, and yesterday I stopped thinking about it and did something about it. I did not paint the whole table, but an area big enough that I need for when I am filming my videos. The only thing I need to do next is to go and buy a matte varnish to finish the surface. I already tried with a satin varnish, but it turned out too glossy.

We are going to find ourselves in May next week.  I thought we just started with April? I just seem unable to keep up with time.

Last Friday I told you that I was on my way to an exhibition opening here in Shanghai. It turned out to be a very pleasant evening. The artist was Johanna Louhi from Finland. She has been living for a few years here in Shanghai but is soon on her way back to Finland with her family. Big abstract paintings, and in my eyes in very pleasant pale 'Nordic' colours. I tried to take a few pictures, but the spotlights made it quite hard to get any good ones. So I give you her website instead: https://artitektur.com

The next magnolia painting almost finished. One more layer of oil on the petals should do the trick.

I have also been filming the next video for my youtube channel, 3 ways to paint a bird. I know they do look quite similar like this together, but still, 3 techniques involved...

The orchids have gotten a layer of oil. Next, I need to paint in the stem and then see what kind of pattern I want to make on the petals.

More magnolias. I have so many great references photos, that there probably will be even more magnolias to come.

For the first time in a very long time, I have been painting from life this week. I had these beautiful peonies, and I had to try and make them immortal. My plan was to make an ink and watercolour painting, but I used the wrong ink and it became quite a disaster. This was my set up when I started. After the ink started to bleed like crazy when I painted on top of it with watercolours, I had only 2 choices of how to continue. Either start from the beginning or paint over it with acrylics. I chose to do the latter!


The result is not at all what I set out to do, but I am very happy with how it turned out. I discovered that hot pressed cotton paper is very nice to paint on with acrylics!

My table with the new coat of white paint. How long it will actually stay white is the question... I just have to protect it with paper when I am not filming. I have been using protective paper on this table while painting anyway, so nothing has actually changed... 

And last, I have not been sharing any videos here lately. I guess I have just forgotten... But here is now last Tuesday's video:



Comments

Popular Posts