Snow in Shanghai and a magnolia painting.

Well, how about that. We got some snow yesterday, and the roofs are still white today. Apparently, it is the first time in 10 years that these small beautiful crystals have been falling here in Shanghai.

This was my view yesterday. I can honestly say that I did not venture out even once! 

Today it was clearer, but the snow still lingered. I don't think it will stay long though.

Friday. This week has passed like a blink of an eye. I have had my bestie to visit me for a week, and we have been running around the city, eaten well, played games and watched movies. So not much has happened in the studio. I did get my video done though, so here are some progress photos of a magnolia watercolour painting I filmed. I was not happy with the first version, so I decided to rework it. I liked the flowers and the colours of the background, but the way I painted it left it with a 'halo' around the edges of the petals that I did not like. My wet in wet technique still needs some working... Anyway, I added another layer to the background, and then I decided to add a layer of coloured pencils and little oil pastels. The result is not what I set out to do, but I like it.

The initial drawing.

My goal was to paint loosely, but as usual, I started to add details.

Here is the first version. You can see that the background dried a little funny, and was not what I had in mind. I do like the colours though.

And here it is after I reworked it. The darker background makes the flowers pop more, and I am quite happy with how it turned out.

Now I am off to dinner. We are having Japanese tonight. Tempura prawns with hot sake will go down well today in this winter weather!




Comments

  1. funny that snow has fallen after so many years.
    your paintings are beautiful Jenny.
    Greetings, Marijke.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it was funny. Especially looking at the locals who is not used to it... Thank you Marijke.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts