Norway

So, I have a lot of pictures waiting to be shared, and today I give you Norway! While I was home for my holiday I decided to visit my cousin who has moved to Norway. She lives in the city of Bergen, on the west coast of Norway. My parents decided to joined me for the trip, so we packed the car and left. 

Our route:  Ekenäs - Åbo - Stockholm - Oslo - Bergen. We took the night ferry between Finland and Sweden, and we slept one night in Oslo. We spent 5 days in Bergen, and then drove back to Finland. 

I really have to say that Norway is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever visited. I have once before driven through Norway when I moved to Scotland for a year back in 2007. Then I took the ferry from Stavanger in Norway to Newcastle in north of England. Ever since then I have dreamt of returning to see a little more of Norway. Now my cousin have given me the perfect excuse to visit more often...

If I did not have a few bird painting commissions, and some more bird paintings to do for an exhibition in my hometown next summer, I would now be painting landscapes. But maybe I can fit in a few of them in between.

A fun map over Norway I saw in a craft and knitting shop. I put a onarge circle around bergen. Thats where I went!

Downtown old Bergen. These old wooden houses are still standing after a few hundred years, though not really that straight anymore. Really charming!






Tthis pictures shows how the weather is most often.


One day we took the cable car up to the view point above bergen. The view was fantastic, as you can see. Me and dad posing!




Being in Bergen you can not avoid going to the fish market and admire all the fresh sea food.

Tasting some king crab and the 'normal' crab (according to norwegians) with a nice white wine...


That was the city, now to the mountain roads that we took to be able to reach Bergen:

Even if it was still only autumn, the mountain tops were already covered in snow.

Lots and lots of waterfalls and streams everywhere.



Lots and lots of tunnels to pass through. Some only 50 meters and the longest 24 km!






Borgund Church. The best preserved church of this fashion in Norway, and if I remember it correctly, also the oldest that is still standing. Unfortunately is was closed for the season, I would have loved to enter it and have a closer look. It is black because of tar, the wood have to be painted regularly with tar to keep rainproof.

I hope you enjoyed these pictures. I have no art to show as I am working on some commissions that I can not show before they are done and delivered. But hopefully I will soon have the first couple finished  ;)





Comments

Popular Posts