I'm back! Finland in pictures.

November. Soon December.
 Time flies, so fast! I am back in China, and I am now living in Shanghai. There is so much that has happened since last I wrote, that I do not know where to start. That is also the reason why I have been procrastinating with a thousand other things than opening the blog and start writing. But I have by now organized all my photos from my visit home to Finland (just a few thousands photos ;-) ) and I have unpacked all of our stuff in the new apartment here in Shanghai. So, writing time!

Let’s start where we left of, shall we?

After emptying our apartment in Rizhao, I flew home to Finland to visit family and friends. I spend almost 2 month at home, and for the first time in 4 years I was able to enjoy a glorious autumn. A full on coloured autumn with rain and sun and cold clean ‘high’ air. My husband joined me for 3 weeks, and we spend almost all of that time out in the archipelago with the boat.

The details of what I did when is not important, so here are the highligts:

- Met up with friends and family to catch up with a years worth of gossip and happenings.

- Had a very successful and fun exhibition at Gallery Karaija in Inkoo together with many other bird artists.

- Spent time in our summer cottage on the Island, both ‘mine’ and the husband’s.

- Spent a lot of time on the sea cruising around visiting our favourite places.

- Saw the 100th anniversary exhibition in Helsinki of our beloved artist and writer Tove Janson. (The creator of the character Moomin )

- Celebrated my grandmother’s 101 (yes, 101!) birthday.

- Made several trips to the forest with my mother to pick mushrooms.

- Did a road-trip to Norway with my parents to visit my cousin.

- Tried to gather new reference material for painting with my camera. Unfortunately many birds had already migrated south for the winter, so I was not so successful. However I did start feeding the small birds in my parent’s garden, and then I did get a lot of good pictures of the Great tit and the Blue tit. And out in the archipelago the Mute swan was still swimming around, so I did get a few good shots of that one too.

Now on to he best part, a small selection of photos from my visit home:

The harbor of Ekenäs, my hometown. 

The same harbor a month later than the previous photo. The trees are turning red, and not many boats left in the water.

Our first frost night. 

Ateneum in Helsinki where the exhibition with Tove Janson was held.

My husband and me out on the sea.

Ekenäs archipelago, the view from my summer cottage. I never tire of siting and watching the weather change here, the birds swimming by and the change of light. It is heaven on earth for me! I miss it already.

Stormy weather.

Cooking inside the cottage on the island. No electricity, so I had to use a headlight to see what I was doing...

Visiting my husbands family in another part of the archipelago. So beautiful.

Our forest path for morning walks in Ekenäs.

Gallery Karaija at the day of the opening night just before the guests arrived.

My paintings at the far left.

Beautiful stained window. I have unfortunately forgotten the name of the artist.

My lovely grandmother on her 101 birthday. 

Mushroom picking, absolutely complete and perfect with a tea break.

My favourite mushroom, Trattkantareller.

And last, let me introduce you to my sister in law Elli, and my niece Emma. I had to post this picture just to show you how the next generation will look like in the forest while picking mushroom. A princess dress with a crown and everything. Not to forget the blinking shoes that you cannot see here. She is too adorable, don't you agree??!

Pictures of Norway and a sample of all my bird photography I brought back will come in the next post! See you soon!

Comments

Popular Posts