Chinese new year and a magpie in watercolour.

Here in China, we are approaching the Chinese lunar new year. We are saying goodbye to the year of the dog and welcoming the year of the pig. It is also the last year of the 12 years Chinese zodiac cycle, which means that next year the next 12 year cycle will start from the beginning with the year of the rat. We might have signed the date with 2019 for a whole month by now, but for the Chinese, the new year starts on Monday. I think it is lovely that they have preserved their local traditions even if they otherwise have adopted our 'western' calendar.

It has been a gloomy week. Bad air quality, cloudy and dark. My studio has still been a cosy place though so I couldn't care less what the weather has been like outside. I've been busy with my colour theory video series, and it has been so much fun putting it together. Who knew it could be so satisfying just mixing colours and making colour charts. It has been meditative.

The following magpie painting was done to illustrate the use of colours instead of black in a painting. It was also an experiment with a new paper that I got as a gift from my art supply store. There is a big art store department here in Shanghai that houses many small art shops on two floors. I have been returning to one of them lately because of their good quality watercolour supplies to a fair price. Apparently, the sweet girl who runs the shop appreciate that I am returning to her shop, so I got a stack of free watercolour paper earlier this week. I am not sure what kind of paper it is. It behaves like something in between hot and cold pressed paper, and it feels like cotton paper. It is really lovely to work on so I will return to see if they sell this paper as bigger sheets as well.

The head became a little too big for the body if I am being picky, but otherwise, I am happy with how it turned out. From my own reference picture.

I wish you all a great weekend!

Comments

Popular Posts