Tea and painting

I was sitting here wondering about what it was that I was missing. I was admiring and trying out some newly bought art supplies, and that usually always makes me very happy. You know, like a child with a new toy. What can it do? How does it react to other mediums? What all can I use it for? And: How will it finally look when painted?
And then it dawn on me, I have not yet had my cup of tea today… How could I forget? That is usually the first thing I do in the morning, brew a nice hot cuppa tea! But now when that is rectified everything is well with my world again ;)

Selecting the pictures to go with this blog, my tea, and a old schoolbook I decided to start reading again. One of the opening sentences really drew me in, I had forgot how nice Mr Ernst Gombricht speaks about art. (original title: The story of art)  'Eigenlijk is er geen kunst. Er zijn alleen kunstenaars.' = in my translation: 'Truth be told there is no art. There are only artists.' I like that. You do not have to like everything that is being made and that is called 'art'. I many times refuse to call certain things 'art', but I never deny the makers right to call himself an artist. Take Duchamp for example: I will never call his Fountain urinal a piece of art just because he signed it. I mean, he didn't even make it! But I don't think anyone would refuse to call him an artist. Oh, well. Art is fun!

Some new brushes, and some new mediums I never tried before: Super heavy gesso, clear gesso and glazing medium. I already tried out the heavy gesso on the book spread you can see under the brushes. Now I'm waiting for it to dry before thinning some acrylic with the glazing medium and see what it does to the page. *happy*

A background I don't think I have shared yet. I used modeling paste with a stencil to create the word hope, and I quite like the 3-d effect. The paint sticks to it nicely. I think this will become a Robin. The orange breast should be a nice contrast to all the blue.

The day before yesterday I finally figured out with some help with my Facebook followers as to what to paint on this background that has been waiting for a couple of months. A cute sleeping barn owl I got a photo from in Wales a few years back. Here the first layer of the bird is painted with acrylics. It is a 30x30cm canvas.

Yesterday the first layer of oil followed. I adjusted some minor faults, and next up will be to paint all the dark colors. Usually I never paint my subject in the middle of a canvas, but here it just felt right to me. 

I liked the ornament stencil I used so much that I think that I will use it to make a series of paintings. Here is the next one in another colour, and I think it also will become an owl. Lets see what I have in my reference library! (30x30cm)

This is a small 20x20cm canvas I wasn't happy with. The background was too dark for the bird. I added the stencil and I think I will add a orange glaze to it before painting the bird back in.

This thrush is still waiting for some more layers in oil, but I thought it needed some more branches before I continue with more details on the bird itself. I'm debating now if I need to add even more branches. But I am a little reluctant to do it as the background is quite busy, so I don't want to add too much to it.

This is a small long tailed tit painting that has been put aside for quite some time now. It felt 'off' even if I liked it otherwise. I played with it yesterday a little and decided to add some branches. It was exactly what was needed I think.

So, after 2 cups of tea and this finished, a good long talk with mom over Skype, some painting and internet-surfing the day is almost over. Now I have to go change out of my painting clothes and get ready for girls night out. The best Italian food of Shanghai! See ya! =D

Comments

Popular Posts