Studio update.

Hi everyone! Here I am with an update, finally! I'm sorry I have been neglecting this blog, but between a week in Thailand, having a bad flue and then playing catch up in the studio, writing became something "I'll do tomorrow" =D

Thailand was beautiful with great people, food and with even more amazing quality time with my whole family. We went on a boat trip, rented scooters, saw the elephants and visited the bird park amongst other things, but most of the time we spent lazily by and in the pool. In the evenings we tried out the local food in different places. In total it was idyllic and quite perfect!

Studio update: I have a couple of new art journal pages, and a few new paintings in progress to share with you!


Page from my big art journal, acrylic and a little bit of collage. Barn owl reference by Chris Allsebrook from the Facebook group 'Photos for artists'. Previously I have most often painted the birds separately on water colour paper with water colour, but now I have down a few pages where I have painted the bird with acrylics straight onto the page in my big journal. It takes a little bit longer, but I quite like it.

Detail of the head.

This is a 40x30cm canvas that I am experimenting with. If I like where it is going then I will paint the barn owl from my art journal page above on it.

Next page from my big art journal. Acrylic and a little bit of collage. Robin reference from Jo Goudy. I really love the background of this one. The only thing that I think I will change when I try to paint this one on canvas, is to either change the bird to face the other way or to flip the background. I couldn't decide which way I would prefer, so I started on 2 almost identical canvases with the background both ways!

Here are the 2 canvases with the first layer of Raw Umber and some collage paper,

and here they are a few hours later done. The colours are a little distorted by my desk lamp, but when I start painting the Robin I will make sure to take a picture in day light for you to see. I still haven't decided on which one I will paint the Robin, so I will sleep on it! The remaining canvas will maybe become a Blackbird or a Long-tailed tit. But I will sleep on that too!

Detail.

This is another 40x30cm canvas. I started this canvas with the Rook or the jackdaw from my previous post in mind. Still a few layers to go before it is ready for the bird, though. I need to bring in some blues colours and cooler tones into this one.

Detail. I seem to be in a brown colour  period right now.

Here is one of the 20x20cm canvases with the different blue backgrounds that has got it's first bird of prey on it. The first layer of oil is done, and it will get a few more layers. I need to adjust the shape of the head a little, and I am also thinking that I will need to tone down the background a little bit. Otherwise most of the 'groundwork' is done, so now I can go in and concentrate on painting those lovely feathers!

I wish you all a great week, and I'll talk to you soon again!

Comments

Popular Posts